Following the Pre-Proceedings Meeting, an official agreement will be drawn up, outlining what you have agreed with the local authority needs to be done in order to look after your child better. This agreement is a formal document laying down what you must do to make sure that your child is adequately protected. Keeping to the agreement is vital if you want to prevent social services taking further action to take your children into care.

The agreement can include any number of things and is dependent upon the circumstances that gave rise to social service’s concern over the welfare of your child in the first place.

Some aspects of the agreement are things the parents must do. These could include:

  • making sure their child goes to school every day;
  • taking their child to a friend or family member when the parent goes to work or college;
  • meeting a health visitor every week to check on the child’s health; or
  • seeing a drug and alcohol adviser.

Other aspects might include things that the child’s social worker must do, such as:

  • asking a health visitor to visit the child; or
  • asking a drug and alcohol adviser to visit the parents.

What Happens if You Fail in Keeping to the Agreement?

It is important that you understand exactly what you are being asked to do in the agreement.

It is also very important that you do not agree to anything that you are unable to do.

If you don’t keep to the agreement, the local authority will almost certainly ask a court for permission to take your child into care.

“Dawn is truly a wonderful
person, she has gone the
extra mile for me and
my children. I know that
it is only due to Dawn
and Brendan, along with
the work that we have
done as a family, that
my children are coming
home.”Our client, K.R.

In order to monitor how you are keeping to the agreement, you will need to go to regular meetings with your local authority. At the meetings, you will be asked about what you’ve done to keep to the agreement. The local authority will also ask people you had to meet, like health visitors, to tell them if you have met them, and what they think about your child’s situation.

It is helpful if you keep notes of what actions you have taken to keep in the agreement. You will be able to produce these at later meeting to show that you are doing what you agreed to do to better care for your child.

Where possible, you should try to do things in addition to the terms of the agreement to better care for your child. Anything you can do to show that you are a capable and suitable parent for your child will further your case. As with parts of teh agreement, you should keep notes of anything additional you do and bring these to future meetings.

If your circumstances change and you are no longer able to keep to some aspect of the agreement, contact your care proceedings solicitor as soon as you can. They might be able to get the agreement changed, or think of something else you could do instead to help your child.

If you believe that your child’s social worker has not upheld their side of the agreement by failing to do something that they were meant to have done, again you should contact your solicitor as soon as possible. They will contact the social worker to find out why.If you think that your child’s social worker is not helping you, your solicitor can take this matter up on your behalf.

Contact Us Now

Brendan Fleming Solicitors are nationally recognized as a leading choice in the area of care work. We are justifiably proud of our expertise and our success rate. We are contracted to the Legal Services Commission for this type of work and are considered to be one of the leading national firms for publicly funded services.

Our principal, Brendan Fleming, has won a reputation for his innovative approach, spearheading many new ways of securing justice for families caught in the care proceedings trap. He is a member of a select children’s panel and recognized and approved by the Law Society.

If you have been called to a Pre-Proceedings Meeting and need a Care Proceedings Solicitor to help you, contact Brendan Fleming today.

Brendan Fleming Contact Button

Your Name
Your Email

Click here to leave a review.

Submit your review
* Required Field

Brendan Fleming Solicitors
165 Newhall Street BirminghamWMB3 1SW UK 
 • 0121 683 5000
Share →