Social Services Risk Assessment
When the local authority is called upon to carry out a child protection enquiry, that enquiry is based upon a social services risk assessment.
The initial enquiry is to assess the risk to the child of suffering significant harm. Section 47 of the Children Act 1989 cover the duty of social services to carry out such an enquiry and assessment, to determine whether or not action is called for to safeguard and promote the welfare of the child.
- Identify the cause for concern;
- Evaluate the strengths of the family;
- Evaluate the vulnerability and resilience of all children in the family;
- Consider the protective factors and the child’s needs for protection;
- Detail and evaluate family history;
- Evaluate information from all sources and previous case records;
- Consider the ability of parents and wider family and social networks to safeguard and promote the child’s welfare;
- Consider how these risks can be managed.