Established in 1982, at Brendan Fleming Solicitors we specialise in Family Law, offering our clients expert legal advice in both Public and Private Law matters, including Care Proceedings, Non-Accidental Injury, Divorce & Children’s Proceedings and issues with Social Services.


Contact Brendan Fleming Solicitors by emailing or by calling 0121 683 5000


Contact our Non-Accidental Injury Department on 07730 143 432. If it is out of hours, you can call our staffed 24 hour helpline on 0121 683 5000. Alternatively you can email us on

Our Location

165 Newhall Street
St. Paul’s Square
Birmingham B3 1SW


0121 683 5000


Can I Stop Social Services Taking My Baby?

Social service have to have grounds to take your baby when they are born. If you have been concerned “Can I stop social services taking my baby?” the answer is yes, if you understand the circumstances under which your baby can be taken.


Social Services cannot simply walk in and have your newborn taken from hospital. The circumstances  which would grant them the right to do this include:


  • Where concerns exist regarding the mother’s or father’s ability to protect;
  • Where alcohol or substance abuse is thought to be affecting the health of the expected baby, and is one concern amongst others;
  • Where the expectant parent(s) are very young and a dual assessment of their own needs as well as their ability to meet the baby’s needs is  required;
  • Where a previous child in the family has been removed because they have suffered harm or been at risk of suffering significant harm;
  • Where a person who has been convicted of an offence against a child, or is believed by child protection professionals to have abused a child, has joined the family;
  • Where there are acute professional concerns regarding parenting capacity, particularly where the parents have either severe mental health problems or learning disabilities;
  • Where the child is believed to be at risk of significant harm due to domestic violence.
  • Where an unborn baby has siblings subject to a Child Protection Plan.


Knowing these factors, then, your next question must be:


“How do I stop social services from taking my baby?”


The answer is very simply to make the needed changes in your life style so that these circumstances are no longer there.

Remember: you have a head start on social services because you know you are pregnant long before they will find out. And you have a whole nine months in which to get ready.

If you have a problem with drink or with drugs, get the help you need to get cleaned up.

If your house is a mess, get it cleaned up.

If your new boyfriend will never pass an assessment, then get rid of him – it’s him or the baby!

Don’t expect any help from the social services in these matters, however. They will not work with you, no matter what they say. They have their own agenda. Work with your solicitor or other groups to get your life back on track. Get a to-do list and do it. Make the changes you need to make so that you can show the court that you have changed.

Contact Us In Confidence

Arrange a consultation – 0121 683 5000. Or email us at